2008 Annual Report
Learn more about what SFP did in 2008.
- Launch of the Spotlight on the FCTC briefings. The aim of the Spotlight briefings is to provide an overview of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) obligations and what these mean to Parties to the Treaty, as well as to inform discussions on key issues such as smoke free policies or taxation. Four briefings were produced and widely distributed to key policy-makers at European and national level, as well as to other relevant stakeholders and the media.
- On January 30, a cocktail reception took place in the European Parliament, Brussels for the launch of the first "Spotlight on the FCTC” briefing. The event was hosted by Linda McAvan MEP and was also be attended by many key MEPS, Commission officials and national attaches.
- On July 15, the Smokefree Partnership organised a seminar in the European Parliament (Brussels) on the role of article 5.3 of the WHO FCTC in protecting public policy from tobacco industry influence. The event was hosted by Avril Doyle MEP and Commissioner Vassiliou was one of the many speakers present during the event. The seminar brought together more than 70 participants including Members of the European Parliament, senior officials from the European Commission, Member State representatives, the WHO as well as public health and tobacco experts.
- On 3rd and 4th September, a two-day seminar took place in Leuven to discuss taxation and illicit trade of tobacco products. The overall aim was to present the new proposal of the EC, to provide participants with information on smuggling and illicit trade and to ensure that health considerations are properly taken into consideration during the negotiations.
- The SFP also continued and strengthened its work on the FCTC. Throughout the year, the SFP Informed key EU policy makers about the need for strong guidelines on Article 5.3 (protection of public health policy with respect to tobacco control from the commercial and other vested interests of the tobacco industry), Article 11 (packaging and labelling) and Article 13 (advertising, promotion and sponsorship);
- The SFP revamped its website in order to provide reliable comparative and easy to use data to EU policy makers. New sections include facts and figures on mortality and cost of smoking related diseases to governments. The interactive map on current smokefree legislation is now available and proving extremely popular.
Please click on the document below to read more about the SFP activities in 2008.2008 annual report (350 Downloads)